Monday, March 17, 2014

Evertrue by Brodi Ashton

Buy here*
Publication date: 2014
Publisher: Balzer+Bray
Pages: 355
My rating: 3 stars
Ages: 14+

In the last book of the Everneath trilogy, Nikki and Jack need to try to find a way to keep Nikki from becoming an Everliving after Cole tricked her from feeding off him in the Everneath. Cole has Nikki's heart, which means he has control over her. With a Bounty Hunter after them, and only a few days before Nikki dies or returns to the Everneath, Nikki and Jack will have to trust Cole to help them.

A lot of what I liked about the first two books are still there, mostly the things that make this different from most paranormal novels. This includes that the love interest is the "nice, normal boy" instead of the 100-year-old immortal with an obsession. One other thing that makes it different is that there is no clear cut "villian"--it's more gray than black and white, which makes every character more believable and the story more interesting to read.

I like Ashton's style and her story telling abilities. That being said, I personally liked the first book much better than any of the rest of the trilogy. It took me some time to feel interested in Evertrue, though I did become more interested in Nikki and Jack's plight as the story went on. Mostly, though, I felt that their story was stretched to the limit by being turned into the trilogy. Though the ending of Everneath was bittersweet, I felt that it was good enough to stand on its own. The entire trilogy is worth reading if you are willing to make the commitment, but otherwise, skip the last two books and read the first one as a stand alone.

*I do not receive any compensation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts!